Thursday, August 27, 2009

Foodie Friday Garden Fresh Basil Pesto



Garden Fresh Basil Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 1/2 tsp of garlic that is already minced - 3 cloves if not
(I add more my family likes it real garlicky)
1/2 C olive oil - extra virgin
1/3 C walnuts - pine nuts are better but more costly
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
A food processor
Spatula
Wash picked basil and allow to air dry.
Pulse walnuts and basil in the food processor.
Add the garlic and continue pulsing.



Slowly add the olive oil - basically drizzling as the food processor is working.
As the mix runs up the side of the processor, scrape down the sides.
    Add the cheese using the pulse method.






You are done! I serve it on pasta with chicken.
If I have more than I can use for a meal
I put it in small plastic containers
and freeze it for future use
*** make sure you drizzle a light layer on top
 of the pesto before freezing - it will keep it fresher
just mix it in after defrosting


Makes 1 cup. Most recipes call for 1/4-1/2 C pesto

Other serving ideas:
On grilled shrimp White Bean Pesto Dip
Added to a cream sauce or Alfredo sauce
Mixed with mayonnaise as a sandwich spread
or burger topping
Stirred into mashed potatoes
Stirred into rice
Mixed with cream cheese
and spread on a bagel
On pizza either in place
 or instead of red sauce
Even on corn!

7 comments:

  1. Looks so very good. I have done very well this summer with my basil. I have added it to many of my dishes. I should try it this way. Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a good Basil Pesto. I freeze mine as well and I am told if you thaw it out you can refreeze it. I would have never done that if I had not been told that by an Italian woman who does it all the time.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, nothing speaks summer food like Basil Pesto and it's so welcome in the midst of winter too.

    Excellent tutorial! I'm almost sure I can also get a whiff of that heavenly fresh basil aroma from here. :) Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pesto. I have even had it in scrambled eggs. Weird, I know, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love pesto -- and I make and freeze all I can for summer on a plate in the winter!

    Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard it been made with wallnuts.It must be a totally different tast than with the traditional pine nuts. I never tought of freezing it. I always have to trow away half of the jars I buy. Thanks for this tip!

    ReplyDelete