Sunday, June 28, 2009

Raised Gardening


I was looking through some photos and I cam across when my daughter and husband built me 3 raised beds for square foot gardening. She was in FFA at the time and this was her SAE project.
The actual grown garden pictures were taken later that year - and yes you have a good eye -we built a fence around the back yard so we didn't have to look at the neighbors house/fence /yard.

First they leveled them, then they started on the frames.......
Next was the barrier cloth.........



We used a 3 part equal mix of vermiculite, peat moss and compost

OOPs - Before we cut off the fence posts
Mid summer crop.......
Don't forget to check out the other participants at Share A Garden Sunday!!
After I posted this I realized that (after seeing it posted) I should have mentioned the pvc pipe is used for netting - we have a critter in the neighborhood who LOVES the fresh salad bar. We have talked about putting a watering system with pvc pipe but haven't done it yet....

9 comments:

  1. We hope to build some of those for our fall veggie garden.I love the way you used the PVC pipe,too.Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! You have a very well trained hubby and daughter there! Sorry, I couldn't help but pick a few treats from your garden! **blows kisses** Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nicely done
    would love to have these in my back yard
    thx 4 sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think raised beds are the way to go anymore for a garden. Easier on the back! I hope your crop will be plentiful this year- it's been hot, hasn't it? Thanks for stopping by to see Bette's garden. We love going over for cook-outs and just plain good company.
    Have a good week, Jo. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the idea of raised beds. These look fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo, I think this is FANTASTIC!! I'm so glad you found these shots and shared them with everyone at Share a Garden Sunday! I've read a lot about square foot gardening, and I have to tell you - I'm intrigued. I'm still doing research on flowers - and I don't know when I'll move into veggies - but when I do, you're gonna be one of the first I contact! :) Hope you don't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there is something about a cute girl in a tool belt. Love ya devon......Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo :)

    Your garden is fantastic! I really want to do this next year. How great to be able to eat from your own yard!

    Thank you for the sweet and kind words about Shiloh.

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed reading your blog tonight...had some time to do some blog hopping...Have a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete