Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Red and Green Jalapeno Jelly

Red and Green Christmas Jalapeno Jelly



It's a perfect relish to many holiday favorites, or serve it with cream cheese on a cracker.

Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 30 Minutes.

Makes 6 jelly jars (36 servings).

1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1 Tbsp -1/4 cup chopped jalapeno pepper depending on taste
5 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 (6 fluid ounce) container liquid pectin
food coloring - optional

Remove stems, veins and most of the seeds of the bell and jalapeno peppers. Mince peppers in a food processor. In a 5-quart pot over high heat, combine bell peppers, jalapenos, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 3 minutes.



Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
 Stirring constantly, add the pectin and let mixture continue to cool for 2 minutes more.
 Now stir for 1 minute.
Pour into hot, sterilized jars and top with sterilized lids.



Secure lids with bands and allow jars to cool slowly, creating a vacuum seal.


6 comments:

  1. Jo, this looks so goood!! I haven't had this since we were back in NM. Love it w/goat cheese. How fun to make it. Thanks for your sweet sentiments and well wishes. I had a really good day today~ Trying to read my pal's blog posts. Not too dizzy and the appetite is back... I'm ravenous, in fact! Just not cooking yet! LOL
    lots of hugs, sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo- you are an industrious woman! Making your own jelly. I could have used this recipe on Monday. I posted a slow cooker steak fajita and the secret ingredient was jalapeno pepper jelly. I have never made my own. Maybe after Christmas. It looks beautiful!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pepper jelly!! I love it over cream cheese & crackers! Great photos -

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for Christmas gifts. Thanks very much for sharing this with us. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT!!! and WONDERFUL!!! Christmas gift.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made several batches this summer for gifts. It is a wonderful treat. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete