Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Crack, Peanut Brittle and Punch

Seems like a very odd combo.....

I got this recipe at Jungle Jim's Store in Cincy a few years ago
I was getting ready to tell my sister about it
but she brought up that she had had this great candy
that my niece had made - it was the same item
except mine has chopped pecan on it
Now if we lived int he same area
it would be one thing but we live 685 miles apart!




Christmas Crack
aka Mock Toffee Bars


Saltine crackers
1 cup brown sugar
Pecan pieces
1/2 cup butter
12 oz. chocolate chips


Line cookie sheet with foil; butter heavily or use parchment paper and spray oil
Place crackers side by side to cover cookie sheet,


salted side up.

Combine butter and brown sugar 
and cook until it boils and bubbles
(3-4 minutes).


Pour over crackers - I spoon it over the crackers
 because pouring
moves the crackers
 and this way you can 
get the crackers somewhat 
evenly coated


bake 7 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from
oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.


 Spread chocolate with spatula.


Sprinkle
with nuts and 
press into chocolate with spatula.


When cool; break into pieces
and enjoy! 
Can refrigerate to speed cooling


This recipe was given to me by my daughters great Aunt Yevonne
I love that is microwavable and so very very easy
Mke ure the day is not to humid 
or it will not set up properly

There is a very funny story abt peanut brittle
One year I put it on the porch to cool
I went out after abt 30 min
and found the squirrels
munching on it!
I guess they had a sugar buzz going on that day




Old Fashion Peanut Brittle



1 C raw peanuts
1 C sugar
½ C white corn syrup
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter or oleo


In a 1-½ quart casserole, stir together peanuts, sugar, syrup, and salt. Cook 8 minutes at high, stirring well after 4 minutes. Add butter and vanilla. Cook 1 minute longer at high. Add baking soda and quickly stir until light and foaming. Immediately pour onto lightly buttered baking sheet. Spread out thin. When cool break into pieces. Store in an air-tight container.



I had this punch at a military Christmas Party years ago
and have made it for every event
I've had punch at
It reminds me of Sonic's Limeade


Holiday Refresher Punch

1 liter Hawaiian Punch, chilled
6-ounce can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
2 cups water
1 liter 7-Up, chilled


Stir together the Hawaiian Punch, limeade, and water,
Just before serving, pour in the 7 Up Add plenty of ice cubes.
Makes 14 6 oz servings. Add plenty of ice cubes,

Optional garnish: Float very thin lime slices or cherries 

I found coke products in these round ornament looking bottles
I put the coffee liqueur I made in them
aren't they cute????

the recipe for this is here



10 comments:

  1. Jo, I've made the same recipe for the toffee bars before. Now I make them with a flour/ brown sugar crust. yummers - they are a little less crunchy. Too, too funny about the squirrels and their sugar high! You are on a baking and cooking kick, girl!
    xo Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! WHy does landon have to be allergic to all the good stuff. It can't be something random like liver!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm toffee. Yum. But now I'm curious on the coffee liquer you made and have to go find that. Fingers crossed it's an easy post to spot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to make the holiday punch. We are suckers for their Happy Hour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have posted a treasure trove of good recipes! Tried-and-true recipes are just the hardest to find, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM...I'm tucking that punch recipe away. I'm always on the lookout for a good punch recipe :)

    CHRISTmas Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all sound delish! :D I've never made the mock toffee before, but I've had it. :D

    Merry CHRISTmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jo. Those recipes looks great! I am thirsty right now, so the punch is especially inviting! Thanks for the recipes and linking to TMTT. Have a blessed Christmas with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are wonderful. I have always wanted to make toffee and now is my chance. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are keepers! I can't wait to try these recipes--toffee! I'll make it while my mother is here (she LOVEs it). Thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting today. Have a delightful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete