Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lamp Base Birdfeeder


Became this



I glass lamp base
1 glass divided plate
It needs to be divided in order for it to sit up

unscrew the base from the rest of the lamp


after dismantling


I used the glass base
and the middle rod

I got the following couplets
 in the lightening dept
 they have threads
 all the way threw so you
could combine 2 rods
at Lowe's
I needed this piece to make
the rod stick up higher





I glued on to a washer



I  glued to a knob to hold the lid on

I then glued the bottom 
of the washer



 to the divided plate



then glued the lamp to
 the divided plate with E6000


Cut a hole in the plate





 and screw the knob on the top
Because the glass is so heavy
we ended up putting
 a screw down the top 
of the knob after we
 put the wire for the hanger in

I drilled a hole in the knob
prior to gluing it to the extension piece



Viola!!


I forgot to buy birdseed
so tomorrow I'll get some 
and post a photo
with it



21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful transformation. I am impressed! La

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really love your crystal lamp turned bird feeder! Such a great repurposing project! Bet the birds will love it, too! Thanks for the great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really pretty! It would go nicely in my (Not so right now) enchanted garden area! You always tackle the projects that take hand tools! Good for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative and unique! Great job, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So creative & unique, I love it! You did a great job, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute -- I will never think of a lamp in the same way again! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo,
    What a pretty, pretty birdfeeder! Any bird would be lucky to eat a morsel from that feeder!!
    Fondly,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo! Happy Met Monday! LUV your birdfeeder, girl! Soooo pretty! You should make a bunch of them and sell them! Lol! I'm saving your post for a future craft this winter when I'm pining away for summer... :)

    xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo thanks for visiting Project Naptime! You are so nice! I love your bird feeder. Very classy indeed.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful, beautiful bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a fun project and this would look so pretty in the garden!! Now to find a divided plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I stopped by from It's so very Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I saw you on soverycheri and had to stop by. Love your project, so pretty and elegant~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally have to do this! What a great piece of backyard bling!

    I found you over at It's So Very Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello- Just found your blog through Transformation Thursday! This is such a smart creative idea. I love everything glass. So much cuter than our plastic bird feeders.I think I will be on the look out for a glass lamp next time I'm at the thrift shops : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic.
    http://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jo I just found this. That is brilliant. I have been taking apart lamps and creating candle pedestals and bird baths lately but this hanging one is so great. Thanks for the inspiration! Pam

    ReplyDelete