Thursday, December 31, 2009

Home Made Granola


Because funds were tight when the kids were young
I came up with this basic granola recipe
Besides having it with yogurt or milk
they would take it like trail mix

**Recently have substituted agave nectar for the honey
and have not seen any major difference


Granola

¾ C brown sugar
1/3 Veg Oil
1/3 C Honey**
5 C Oatmeal
¾ tsp each : cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves

Nuts, raisins, dried fruit, kasha go lean coconut wheat germ, dates , choc chips etc
Heat oil, honey and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Mix with dry ingredients. Spread on a lg jelly roll pan and bake at 375 about 10 minutes



until toasted


once cooled add what ever you would like - either make it a trail mix or granola for milk
- it all depends on what you choose to add




9 comments:

  1. We often make our own granola as well -- a simple recipe too. Thanks for sharing your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make our granola all the time, why did I stop. This looks easy and good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic... I never even thought of making my own!
    I'm having a little New Years Give away too... stop by and enter if you get a chance...
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly love granola though I haven't made it in quite awhile. This looks awesome. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much; I've needed a good granola recipe. I found a bunch of cereals in my pantry--do you think I could add them (all kinds of corn flakes and raisin bran).

    Have a splendid 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo, I can't believe you chose Xenia because of a book! My daughter just started a food blog, The Unseasond Chef. You might enjoy it. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo. The granola looks yummy. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you switch out the honey because the agave nectar is healthier? I make granola a lot, but so far I have always made it with honey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't made granola in a while, but have some new gluten-free oat arriving this week, so I'll have to make some. Thanks for the recipe! Oh, because we keep bees, I always use honey, but have been using agave some lately. Now more info has come out that it's highly processed like HFCS and can harm one's liver ... have you read the info? What do you think?

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete